Serenity
I went to the first showing of Serenity yesterday. I guess there aren't too many Firefly fans in this area since the long lines I expected weren't there. Anyway, I was the second one in the theater. In about 10 minutes, several others arrives. Long haired people, geeks, nerds. One was telling a girl a quick synopsis of Firefly (there were only about three females in the audience); others were talking about video cards. I think the guy in the row in front of me was surfing the web on his phone. I think that except for the girl who'd never seen the series, the other 14 of us in the theater were fans of the scifi series, Firefly.
Anyway, I really liked the movie. It's one I'd probably like to see again, and with the senior citizen price for any showing, I don't mind paying once again to see it over. It begins with a look into the recent past, when the doctor (Simon) breaks his sister (River) out of a school (it seems like a prison) run by the government (the Alliance) for those special people. All the experimenting has fragmented her mind, so her telepathic abilities are kind of out of control, erratic. The two fugitives end up with the crew of Serenity, still chased by the Alliance. The rest of the movies is about the Alliance chasing them and their efforts to escape from their grasp. You get some sense of what caused the war (The Rebellion) and some origins of other problems (like the Reavers). There's a great bar fight that you really expect to see someone like Wolverine doing some fighting, but in fact, it's another deadly weapon created by the Alliance.
The movie is a lot like the series, but there is a lot more violence and more in-depth character development.
Now I'm looking forward to a sequel.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home