Sunday, November 14, 2004

It's 7:40 am and I'm sitting here watching Rod Steward on A&E's "Breadfast with the Arts." While I admit it's good to see a legend still performing, it's somewhat disappointing to see him do his renditions of old numbers, classics by other people probably fromt he Tommy Dorsey/Glen Miller era. It's just not the same seeing him in front of an orchestra. When I first switched into the program, he was doing some of his classic hits, in the rock style that he's known for. While it was good to hear those old familiar songs, I found his voice to be different than it was. I guess it's mellowed somehow; I recall reading somewhere that he'd had some sort of tumor removed from his throat, so maybe that affected his voice; he can still carry a tune, though. I guess age also has a way of affecting the voice, and in his case, his choice of material. For example, at the moment, he's performing "That's All." Now, I never considered that type of song his style; I'd much rather hear something like "Hot Legs." Oh well, age...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home