Looking out the window
I sit here on a comfortable chair by the window, where I can somehow log into the internet with my wireless card and thus avoid paying an extra $10 at the hotel to use their access for 24 hours (wired). It's funny the way the old hotels still cling to their old billings and offer no new services like the newer hotels going up. At La Quinta on South Padre Island, we had free breakfask and free hi speed internet service, all for a pretty good, low fee. Here at the Hyatt, the prices seem about the same as they did years ago, or maybe higher, yet they don't offer anything extra for the fees. I guess, above all, it's location, location, location... I like to get away from home occassionally, though; the long drive sometimes helps me get ideas for whatever I'm working on. So when my wife has to go out of town for conferences or workshop, I usually go with her since she'd rather not do the long drives herself. And while she's at the meetings, I'll do whatever I want such as reading or watching movies or getting online.
Last Thursday I got to talking to a student worker when she asked me something about the type of music I like. I don't know whey people are always surprised to learn I'm into hard rock above other types of music. From there she asked how old I was, and when I told her, she was surprised. I don't know if she was kidding or not-she said she thought I was in my early to mid 40's-but she made a friend for like with that comment...:)
So last night we went to see "The Freshman" starring Harold Lloyd, I believe, a silent film from the 1920's. There was a sextet that provided the music and sound effects, and I can only say that they really enhanced the film and I really enjoyed the whole thing. We went with my son (infamy) and his wife (que) (that's q, not keh, for those of you who read Spanish). For a rundown of the film and so forth, check out http://www.virtualinfamy.com and check the bbs movies section or check the posting by infamy.
Another disappointment about the hotel-limited television. Yeah, it's got HBO; on the other hand, it doesn't have the Scifi channel.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home