Saturday, April 02, 2005

Last weekend we were at my sister-in-law's for Easter, and a lot of folks showed up for the bbq she had. It was actually a pretty nice gathering. We'd been there a couple of days and helped her clean up, mow, etc., in preparation for the event. But with so many people there, you'd think there'd be a lot of little kids for the Easter egg hunt and fun kiddy activities. Well, there was one baby and a couple of older kids, and that was it, so Easter was a little disappointing, I think. I remember when all our kids were small, they'd all get together and have massive Easter egg hunts and afterward massive egg cracking on everyone's head. Well, at least we avoided all that.
Anyway, to speak of something else, while I was there, somehow Windows got corrupted on my laptop, and I couldn't boot it up at all. Luckily, I had a bookable linux cd with me, Amorok Linux, and with that distro, I actually managed to get online, so I was pretty well satisfied with it. I'm considering just installing linux and going with that, but I hesitate since I don't really know how I'd get along with the rest of the community I associate with, OS speaking.
I reinstalled Windows, but decided not to install MSOffice; I went with Open Office and Abiword. I figured I didn't need Word if Abiword and Open Office Writer are both Word compliant. I like both programs fine; in fact, I think I prefer Abiword since it actually looks better on the computer than Writer or Word, I think. Anyway, both these free programs read my old Word files,so I'll be using them from now on unless for some reason I find I need to stick with Word/Office.
If I do decide to go linux, I'm going to have to decide which distro to use. There are several distros that do work just fine on my laptop though only one has recognized the built in wireless and worked, but I've found some that do boot up just as well on my computer and run just fine (testing live cds), and I have found some that are really just great, so I'll really have to think about which to use. My old favorite distro, Peanut linux, just won't run on my computer for some reason. Well, does anyone have any suggestions?

1 Comments:

Blogger Carlos O. said...

hmm... gentoo, knoppix, fedora, ubuntu. maybe novell suse?

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home